Plot Notes

A personal journal, open for the world to read, recording the progress of a novice allotmenteer on his allotment.



Weed it and reap.


Sunday 21 February 2010

Boing

It felt like spring had sprung this week. I have been setting off to work in daylight and we have even had a bit of sunshine. The snowdrops are out in the garden and other spring bulbs are pushing through. With the exception of the chillies all the seeds which I sowed in the propagators last weekend are emerging and my Duke of York first early potatoes are chitting away nicely.

Today we are back into Winter. I woke up to a covering of snow and more is forecast later.

I called round at the allotment site this afternoon on my way to the Farm Shop for potatoes for Sunday dinner. Hopefully in a few months time the Farm Shop will be missing my potato purchases.

The contractor has not yet delivered the topsoil and raised beds which are due to arrive anytime this month. I did notice that David on half-plot 6 has rotivated and that Alan on plot 23 has had a large delivery of farmyard muck which was steaming in the snow. The new shed has been delivered to Chris on plot 14 (pic above) and he was fitting gutters to the shed and a fall pipe into his water-butt. Rachel (Mrs Plot 14) has suggested that we have a shed warming party. Any excuse for a party! Count me in.












2 comments:

  1. Just pottered to your blog from Jo's at The Good Life. We have just got a new allotment and will also soon hopefully have a shed up there - great idea about a shed warming party :-) Will be nosing in to see how you get on :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Sweetpeas, welcome to the blog. Feel free to have a nose around. A Shed and greenhouse are on my wishlist. At the moment my car is a mobile shed and I'm making use of my homemade coldframe until I can snap up a bargain greenhouse on ebay.

    ReplyDelete